How Do I Know It’s My Intuition Talking?
Could it be fear?
Maybe I’m just making it up?
These are all very valid questions, and ones that I get asked regularly.
Yes, you have to be discerning, which is why common sense is absolutely paramount. And you must be able to take responsibility for your actions. But, to be honest, the more you question your intuition, the quieter it will become. So if you want to be more intuitive you have to have a level of acceptance that your intuition does talk to you, and can be trusted. I hope my articles and posts will help you to develop and trust your intuition a little more.
Once you become familiar with your intuitive reactions you will naturally know when it’s your intuition talking to you, or if it’s something else influencing your thoughts (like your inner fears).
To summarise, your intuition is talking to you with a nudge, a niggle, a thought, a sudden impulse, or a feeling or inner knowing that you just can’t explain.
Here are some tips to help you know that it is your intuition talking to you.
- If you’re undecided, and there’s two different feelings, or voices (for want of a better word), your intuition tends to be the quieter, more calm one. Fear based reactions are loud!
- Intuition tends to be an instant, and unfortunately, fleeting reaction to a situation. Like a thought, or a dream, it can be hard to grasp once the moment has passed. Don’t dismiss those instant or initial thoughts. (Sometimes we ignore it as we can feel we are being too quick to judge.)
- If you have a prolonged feeling of uneasiness where you intuition usually resides (by this i mean, the place in your body where you normally ‘feel’ your intuitive reactions) then you probably made the wrong choice and your intuition is saying, ‘I can’t respond now so I’m going to shut down.’ It’s the feeling of knowing something isn’t right. When you reverse the decision there is often an immediate sense of relief. (This uneasiness is different from the nerves or excitement involved with stepping out of your comfort zone but you do need to learn the difference!)
- Intuition can cause spontaneous outbursts, where we agree, disagree or express an opinion without even realising we were going to do it.
- Heart over head? No, it’s neither of these. Especially in matter of love and relationships. Our intuitive voice is something entirely different. More on this here.
- When your intuition is talking to you, it is mostly internal, but do be aware of external signs of being on the right track. Repeated signs, symbols and number patterns can back up our intuitive voice helping us to be confident in our decision to follow its advice.
Now You Know What To Look Out For!
It’s not always easy to start with, or for me to explain in words. With practice you will learn to hear when it’s your intuition talking to you, and to interpret what’s it’s saying. You might also want to have a look at my top ten tips for developing your intuition here.
Transformational Women's Coach, Trainer, Speaker & Author
Combining a spiritual outlook, a pragmatic approach, and a sense of humour I want to help you remember who YOU are and reveal YOUR path so you can step on to it empowered, energised, inspired and guided.
What are your thoughts or questions? Let me know below